Saturday, May 9, 2009

day 14

I know you’ve all seen plants grow; I have, too. But I can’t help being especially proud of my garden this year, and overly fascinated with those mutant green beans. This week, I put up the trellis, which has maybe one year of life left in it. It’s rusty, and I didn’t want to use it, originally, but those beans need something to grab onto before they decide to choke my okra.

P1020967

 

Also had to repot the basil. I wanted to give it more room to grow, regardless, and then it turned out to be root-bound and growing into the ground underneath. This is the second repotting in… three weeks? Maybe?

P1020968

 

And: roses! Roses have been added to the mix. They are my Mother’s Day gift from the children, and as much as I love cut flowers, I love that I can plant these in the ground. I’ve never grown roses, and I’m a little bit worried about keeping them alive. Any tips?

P1020969 

 

The squash is quickly competing for Mutant Status as well. It always does.

P1020970

 

The whole enchilada:

P1020966

2 comments:

Watch that garden grow! said...

Wonderful!
It never gets old watching seeds come up and grow. I've been closely watching the sunflowers seeds that came from the great Sunflower project that I planted. Wanting to be sure I knew which ones were planted and which ones are volunteers from last year. If the roses have a tag, read that for care. Otherwise, just treat them nicely and they should be fine. You might need to protect them from hard freeze.

almost anonymous said...

Looks fabulous!

I haven't had too hard a time with roses. I have to hack them back at my parents' when I go up in the spring. Mostly just making sure they've got enough water and the occasional trimming.