Monday, May 25, 2009

tiny yellow squash

P1030099

I’ve lost track of the days, but here they are: the first yellow squash(es?) of the season! There are several, as well as flowers on the other plant. I don’t know what the other plant will come out as, since the seed pack was listed as a mix of squash? It will be kind of neat to find out.

The tomatoes are also looking healthier after a dose of plant food (worm poop spray, for reals) the other day.

The pepper still looks a little wimpy to me, but maybe I should have planted it in more sun, rather than the shady bed. Learning experience.

I was also brave and thinned out the okra, and I think it was a good move. I’m down to six plants, which I know is still way too much, but hopefully they will grow better than they had been—and I can freeze extras for okra yumminess throughout the year.

I also thieved some pine straw from a local park, and laid it down over the top of some newspaper (thieved from the recycle center). One pile of straw included some duck feathers from the park pond, and the birds in our yard found them like, immediately, within an hour, staging their own stealthy operation to acquire nesting materials. I didn’t get enough pine straw overall, and would go back for more, but the whole operation felt a little sneaky to me, so I think I’ll wait until next year. Next time, I plan to go to campus (for a lifetime of debt? they owe me), and fill up maybe 3x as many bags. Meanwhile, I’m filling in the blanks with some pine bark purchased by the giant bagful from the home improvement store.

AND, it turns out that we have some decking leftover from our deck project (pictures soon), so… third garden bed! Third garden bed! Third garden bed! I may be a little excited about that.

3 comments:

erin j said...

Good job with the thinning! You will have plenty and okra really does freeze well! I too have trouble thinning... but it must be done! I'm impressed with your squash. I think we planted WAY later than we usually do. Our squash plants are only about 3-4 inches tall...oh well, thank goodness for long growing seasons! Everything looks great!

Mulch is good said...

The beauty of baby squash is mindboggling. Do you have 120 days of growing season? If so, you just gotta try growing gourds. Mendacious can tell you all about how much fun they are. They need a nice sunny location. Bonus-Rule of thumb (green): if you are growing a crop for fruit, put it in the sun, if for leaves or roots less sun is ok.

jenn said...

I'm so impressed with your gardening skills! Looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.