Monday, June 13, 2005

love the pretty pictures

and Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban. and, summer television. here are the warm fuzzy blankets of my life, currently, how i am easing my way through morning sickness and the summer blahs:
  • Hit Me Baby One More Time: i cannot express in words how much reality-tv crossovers warm my soul. is anyone out there writing a thesis-like analysis of how Rob VanWinkle, a.ka. Vanilla Ice, totally would not have done a show like Hit Me before going on The Surreal Life, and working the huge chip off of his shoulder with the help of twinkly-toothed Erik Estrada? not only did he seem completely relaxed and like he was having fun with the whole affair, but he did his one-hit wonder in its original version, totally kicked it with his own version of Destiny Child's "Survivor"--no other artist to date has done a cover on the show with their own lyrics--and won the audience vote. booyah. and do we remember how he defaced his early nineties image that was plastered over the set of Surreal? this is progress, people.
  • Blow Out: Jonathan in all of his arrogant glory reminds me of a more vain, more controlling, richer male version of my very own Evil Spa Boss. He must. Create. The Best Hair Product. Ever. i just enjoy seeing him cut famous people's hair. and the song, do whatcha gotta do... here is an instance that completely speaks my argument on why Britney and Kevin: Chaotic, is not good, and is completley skin-crawly, and makes me wish for the days of watching Mini Me ride around drunk and naked on his scooter to pee in the corner of the exercise room. because Jonathan is completely repulsive, and yet due to the way the show is filmed, he is utterly fascinating and i can't stop watching.
  • Bridezillas: I miss the tinkly piano backdrop music of last summer, and it's not clear that these are all NYC brides, which somehow had its own flavor. and i miss Miho and Joe, just because I liked saying their names in my head. but ah, Bridezillas. no better summer tv, except:
  • Reruns of Gilmore Girls and The OC. I am suddenly entirely content with watching shows that I have seen more than once, and have even seen recently, so that I could recite the whole freaking episode in my sleep. there are becoming my snuggly pajama pants, my Taco Bell Nachos Supreme. need i say more than Star's Hollow and Newport Beach?

No comments: