Sunday, May 22, 2005

It Takes 21 Days to Form a Habit

If that's really true, I feel like my clock is winding down. The cute little egg timer I bought last month for the stove is quickly running out of sand. I might very well be screwed.

I just need to know that someday (SOON) when I leave work, I will forget work. Completely, utterly. I won't mentally rehash conversations with clients while sitting at traffic lights, my stomach won't churn during dinner, remembering all the mistakes I made today and fearing what scariness will transpire tomorrow. I won't mull over current price plans and promotions while brushing my teeth, turning this phrase and that around, pondering the best way to explain a prorate.

Work should never be the centerpiece of one's life (unless you really do like it and want it to be). And it shouldn't even be blinked over after hours, much less on the weekend. Agggh.

Friday and Saturday nights I did celebrate because I MADE IT THROUGH THE FIRST WEEK OF TAKING CLIENT CALLS. Weeee! Go me! But after the toast, that is where it should end, thinking about this work stuff.

HOW DO I SHUT MY MIND OFF??????

How do I remember that work is simply the pesky nine-hour task I must get out of the way before going on my merry way, living my merry life, dreaming my merry dreams? The job enables the merry way, life, and dreams. The way, life, and dreams, should not, therefore, in any way, shape, or hideous form, be consumed with the job.

Am I right?

Or merely crazy.

Don't answer that, necessarily.

No comments: