Friday, February 11, 2005

exclamation points!

why i wouldn't mind if you never felt like using !! again.

I have never been one for exclamation points. i have always felt them to be a trite indicator of emotion. and i used to have a friend who over used them all the time. like, i can't believe you never told me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and she'd have at least four sentences just like that one as if her finger was permantently glued to SHIFT 1. it says less than just the one! don't you think. like when i read them i read them sarcastically- a proper context would be "Thuuuper, thaanks for ath-king!!" or "I love my job!" but to use them in a sincere way seems to invite either derisive comments or- I guess it depends on if the person thinks your sincere, like, "I fucking hate you!" I can't take that sarcastically can i?

anyway i'm losing grasp of my original point but i feel the same way about question marks. i really don't like to use them at all. like a question mark is an up beat. so if i were to say, I can't take that sarcastically can i. that's a down beat. perhaps i don't like to end my sentances on up beats! a raise in the voice. a wha?? who?? wha!! who!!
wha. who. now that's better.

perhaps though i'm a depressed and unenthused individual. like logging for a month now and i've missed the blog and felt a disservice for neglecting it so. but no, i've always hated anything but periods. i'm also fond of dashes -- and elipses though sentimental . . . as i have always loved you . . . until a professor said i overused them, like my proponderance of shakespeare quotes. . . and i had to stop-

the -

dramatic pauses-

. . .and the lamenting sighs.

. . .

and thus was born my love of dashes say i.

2 comments:

Somebody's Mom said...

It is all about variety; the spice of life. Each has their place and should not be foresaken: periods, dashes, ect.

mendacious said...

WHATEVER!