Tuesday, January 11, 2005

M RANTS inspired by Lefroggy blog (or writer inspires other writer in the NEWS)

Let's ignore for a minute there's another storm coming or I would focus on how the sun being out this morn would be a metaphor for a new day, healing and life going on as it should. But it is going to rain again.

People ask you what you want to do because they have nothing else to say. It's like asking about the weather. The usual answers like actor, writer, mega-star, director, jugger-not and what not are such prototypical answers that it actually becomes a derisive and wry statement about your impending disillusionment.

"I don't know" is a ballsy answer. The writer of Reality Bites, lets remember, it's happy time in fiction land where people say "God Bless You" and that means, yes someone to fall in love with forever . . . The writer and their fantasies and their i-don't-know's all get put on screen for us to drool at such a dream because their's is realized at least for that moment until they're eclipsed and they lose their agent and become alcoholics.

"I don't know" was meant to be a Gen-X statement about how NO- it really doesn't matter does it? It's flipping off the man. (oh yah I said it)It's saying I'm open to what life has in store for me. I make my own destiny- I don't need you or anyone to tell me what I should be- I dont even need me to tell me what I should be.

But where-ever you are you have to be happy. Comfort and paying the bills is death. Growth and challenge kickass, except when you're starving, that's the catch.

And besides the world is full of people who settle- They can ONLY ANSWER that question "What do you want to do" because THEY'VE given up looking. Even people who are doing what they want may one day say, wait, I want something else, I don't know what it is but... Contentment isn't a permanent state.

Well anyway I'll shut up- You can always say I'm doing what I want for right now- tomorrow is another question.

And it could just be me being cranky or you being cranky- or we're all withdrawing from our constant OD'ing of Vitamin E. Better go soak up the sun while we have the chance. Ah, yah. that's right. Just the way I like it.


Cali- out.
M.

4 comments:

Daniel Bruckner said...

Could you please clear something up for me. When you say 'flipping off the man,' who exactly is this aggression directed towards? Is 'the man' some sort of metaphor for the established societal norm that demands from some of us a satisfying response to the inquiry in question. Or are you simply refering to me, Daniel Bruckner, who is frequently addressed as 'the man' throughout the day.

mendacious said...

well you're more of "that man", not "the man".. or really, hey there's "that guy..." I think that's more you than anything. so I'll have to vote for the former of your choices. not the latter.

SW said...

A blogger inspiring another blogger...I'm awesome.

mendacious said...

you certainly are SH. you certainly are.