Thursday, December 30, 2004

"chronicles" 12/27

And I am sad to say that I am on my way to work. As I round the corner to the office, I see that the homeless lady has relocated; now she has taken post in front of Port City Java, which is right across the street from General Assembly. She leans over to pick up a bowl, grunting with effort as she rises. The bowl is for the puppy, whose leash is attached to the woman’s grocery cart. The cart holds several bags of dog food, the dog himself appears well-fed and happy as he sits on the freezing cold sidewalk and looks up to his lady, and I’m trying to take in every detail of this scene while crossing the street but at the same time not appear as though I’m looking, and all the while I can’t get that question out of my head,

Where do they sleep at night?

Then I notice that the grocery cart comes from Target.

Years from now, this person could very well be me.

No comments: