Friday, April 1, 2005

Penelope Promises

Mendacious says:

Yes, I pirated this blog. Penelope no longer exists but a fond memory. She has been pushed to the darker recesses of my mind. I thought I would tell you. You'd think perhaps this goading would induce her to the fore. But no. It won't. I can't say why.

Today I pretended to be a camera op. Like they tell you in acting classes you NEVER disagree, never, ever- not when you're improv'ng or when they ask if you know how to do something in an audition. Do you know how to sky dive. YES, yes I do, and I'll show you how! (With a smile, with enthusiasm!) So today an associate of a friend needed for me to "shoot" something. I said, stills? He said, No- I've got a Canon xl something or other and he said, is that okay? And i said, "Yah, no problem." Sure I've never shot anything professionally before. I don't own a dv cam, nor have i ever used one, but you know I think, I can pull it off. God I hope so. I really do.

The beauty part is, my bless'ed logging experience has come in handy. All that raw footage gave me the eyes of a camera guy. How to swish pan, to rack focus in fact, to do other things involving xcu and xws. Or you know, sound like I know what I'm talking about like "oh you want me to get that, so you could do some "quick cuts" or well i did some uh stuff involving a tripod. But anyway who could believe I'd be a camera guy for 30 minutes. It was a good time. Now, who knows about the footage. I don't. Don't tell me. I don't wanna know.

I really started off wanting to tell you about the Pacific Ocean:

It's the largest and deepest of the oceans, it is probably the most violent of all oceans too. The Pacific Ocean has typhoons in the equatorial regions, nearly 300 active volcanoes which vent steam and smoke on her borders, and tidal waves are periodically unleashed. In comparison with the Pacific and the Indian Oceans, the Atlantic is the saltiest. The Pacific Ocean is less salty because of meteorological conditions. And it has the deepest trench and the longest mountain range.

Crazy huh. Yah. And to think I touched that violent mass yesterday and it numbed my feet. It has also almost dragged me out to sea in riptides, threw a rock at me and made my neck stuck sideways for a day when i was little imparing me until a car accident in 98, deposited countless sand particles in all sorts of unmentionable places, tossed me around, let me per'fect sumersaults and body surfing and provided soothing ambient sounds to lull me to sleep. It's responsible for so many things I can hardly think why anyone would want to go in it- that living, breathing thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have the stills experience, and the logging to give you some video basis. As long as you got the camera on (that would be the big red button on the right side toward the back), I'm sure you got something for them.

Afterall, if it was that big a deal they could have gone themselves instead of calling for last minute referrals.

mendacious said...

yes, yes. it's true. deep breath. judgement isn't everything. it's certainly not the last. i think also that i found the big red button. there were points when it said record. and that was a good time.

when are we making a movie. that's what i ask myself. along with my novel and my playscript ideas... it's a long road to fame and fortune. dammit.