Friday, January 5, 2007

I do not like them apples.

This morning at Target, I purchased a box of Cinnamon Apple Fruit Crisps, new from Nature Valley. They're basically seasoned and baked apples, tiny, crunchy and in a bag. I've been wanting to try them for awhile, as what could be better than crispy little pieces of apple, and they do actually fulfill 1 daily serving of fruit. That's difficult to achieve in the snack aisle. They were on sale, and I had a coupon--score.

Maybe it's just me, but the second the apple pieces hit my tongue, I was reminded of... SpaghettiOs. I tried them again, and then a third time. SpaghettiOs! Which, actually, I happened to love as a child, so much so that I was able to order a SpaghettiOs spoon engraved with my name, a spoon I still own. But first of all, anything cooler than piping hot SpaghettiO's=big no. Ew, yuck, ew. And also, SpaghettiOs is a food that has a very specific little niche in a person's palette. You have to be in the mood for what is essentially canned pasta with tomato soup as a sauce. The flavor does not belong anywhere else, at any other time. It especially does not belong in one's mid-morning snack, in a shiny green crinkly bag that is allegedly filled with apples.

3 comments:

mendacious said...

the horror!!

Kim said...

Okay, maybe I'm super gross, but I actually really like those! And yet, I'm afraid to try Spaghetti-os... do I dare try them now that I know they are tangy apple flavoredd?

penelope said...

Seriously?! I'm going to mail the rest to you.