Wednesday, January 25, 2006

@ 25

D said...
"Why was 25 such a good age?"

like in the context of it being an odd-numbered birthday? i had to look up the year - good thing i have albums, bcs i was a complete blank.

let me take you back:
to chicago> It was actually a kick ass year. I went to depeche mode at the staples center (okay and LA), close enough to see dave gahan sweat, saw Weezer 'live at the aragon' along with the Get Up Kids and Ozma, (in chicago)... i was working at Borders, developing an odd assortment of friends and aquaintences, taking people to Dave and Busters, seeing the Cubs play, walking around in the wilderness. Some of my closest new friends hadn't yet betrayed me, a long time friend hadn't as yet had a psychotic break from reality. All was well, except for the $271 ticket (moving violation), i explored the inner workings of the aerospace industry over the summer (w/ bill and gill), went down to the 'river' and took a speedboat ride to edge of california and had the best teryaki bbq salamon EVER. But then there was the maddening pressure to be creative every day, every month... and the desperate need for a community in a place not my home- which mostly failed but at times soared beyond expectation. So in my darkest moments I panicked about my chosen destiny, pondered another way and route, was too clingy and emotionally needy- and @ my best I was becoming an artist who owned their craft and called myself so, producing work i was proud of and exploring a place that seeped into the aesthetic of my soul- like closing my eyes in the face of a beautiful january sun and walking over the bridge into the city blind.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

Ah, 25. I was living in a van. It was good practice for when I next live in a van.

Anonymous said...

Oh.

-D

mendacious said...

don't you just "oh" me you jackass.