Tuesday, November 30, 2004

fall

I'm falling fast in this windswept street. There's water running from a hose. The surface slick, to be expected. I should've seen it. I should've stopped when I had the chance.

From here I can see the blue sky. I can't say which kind except to say its the kind that comes after a rain. There's no clouds to wish yourself into and the air is crisp and it cools your cheeks. I think it's cold enough for a hat, but that would have gotten knocked off by the fall or maybe the intermittent wind. So its probably better I left it behind.

My feet out, I'm up and muddy. There's a few leaves, ground up and skeletal attached to my cordoroy jacket. Because even here we lose leaves.

Does anyone see my sunglasses?

I have to crawl under a car. They're scratched.

Thanks.

I think I killed something on the way down. The sun blinding, and me now hobbling away. I wipe my backside.I can't say for sure what came off my pants into my hand.

Don't look.

You're right.

Shake it off.

Just shake it off and keep going.

I rub my leg and I keep going. Then I turn back and scorn the water real good. I scorn the crack that came before the water that I narrowly missed so I could hit the ground hard. I scorned that too.

I knew I should've seen it coming like I should've seen death or something inevitable like discontent.

2 comments:

bruckner said...

That is why I always wear an extra pair of underwear.


Padding

Somebody's Mom said...

OH, poor dear. Take a warm bath with some bath salts. I think Mr Smithee has a good idea there, keep sunglasses firmly on your face. You should get one of those elastic bands or one of those chains to hold your glasses, then you won't find them under a car unless they follow you there.

Tsk. don't people know they need to be thrifty with water! This is a semi-arid land.